Student and Aid Type
New Students: ESR Need-Based Aid
Funds are limited and are awarded on a first come, first served basis.
Returning Students: ESR Need-Based Aid
Late applications are put on a waiting list and reconsidered in September, depending on available funds.
All Students: FSA Loans
Requests for Federal Student Aid loans may be made anytime during the academic year.
1. Complete and sign this ESR Financial Aid Application
A critical part of the application is the Budget Worksheet. Need-based aid awards and FSA loan amounts are largely based on this information, so take your time to compute realistic figures. The Expense Norms provided represent a frugal student budget. Your individual expenses may vary significantly.
2. Return the application to the ESR Business Office. See chart above for deadlines.
3. Complete a FAFSA . A FAFSA must be completed for either Need-Based aid or FSA loans. The web site is www.fafsa.ed.gov. On the last page, enter both ESR’s school code, E00170 and Earlham College’s code, 001793.
4. For applications submitted between January 1st and April 15th, your Financial Aid Award letter will be sent by April 30th. For applications received after April 15th, your award letter will be sent within 2 weeks of receipt of your application or the FAFSA results, whichever is later. The award letter will include information on further steps you must complete.
5. Your request for an FSA loan is processed through Earlham College, and funding is disbursed to your student account in the first 2 weeks of class. If the amount disbursed is greater than all tuition and fees billed to your student account, the overage will be refunded to you within two weeks of the disbursement.
Note: You will receive one-half of your loan each Session.
1. I plan to attend ESR for the following semesters and credits:
2. Do you plan to take a Cross Cultural course this year?
3. I plan to attend the following Intensives (mark all that apply):
4. I plan to receive the following degree:
5. I expect to graduate or complete my studies in:
6. I expect to receive the following aid from sources other than ESR.
The following optional questions will help ESR determine whether you are eligible for funds from endowed funds.
1. Please state your "official" religious affiliation.
2. If you are a member of the Society of Friends, please indicate your monthly and yearly meeting:
3. Please describe your career plans after ESR. Indicate whether you intend to go into pastoral ministry.
4. Please state country of citizenship.
5. If you are a member of a racial or ethnic minority, please describe:
Please provide the following Cost of Attendance (COA) expenses.READ INSTRUCTIONS:
Norm for 9 months: $7,000
Food, household supplies, clothing, recreation; for yourself ONLY Norm for 9 months: $3,500
Travel expenses for 2-week Intensive travel classes and other approved Cross-Cultural course work. This includes travel fees charged by ESR or Bethany less any scholarship (such as the $1,000 grant), airfare and other transportation not included in the travel fees, parking, meals, and travel insurance. It does not include the purchase of mementos, clothes, gifts and other personal items.
Health Insurance Premiums plus out-of-pocket expensesNorm for 9 months: $2,000
Disability Expenses, including costs incurred in obtaining accommodation documentation, special services, personal assistance, transportation, equipment, and supplies that are reasonably incurred and not provided by other agencies, and not paid by insurance
Child care while attending classes.
If your phone or internet is bundled with cable or other services, you must break out the amount that is for ONLY phone and internetNorm for 9 months: $775 for 9 months
One-time purchase plus upgrades
1% for Stafford Direct loans, 4% for GradPLUS loans. Estimate and Business Manager will update if signifiantly different.
You must include details below in order to be considered for inclusion in your COA.
I affirm that the information I have given in my aid application is complete and accurate to the best of my knowledge. I understand that if I knowingly make a false statement or misrepresentation, my aid may be canceled and I may be subject to penalties from ESR or aid agencies.
Date:Saturday, July 2, 2016 - 3:06 am