Bivocational Ministry Certificate
This certificate is designed for those seeking a planned course of study in general ministry to expand their opportunities for ministry. Potential students may include:
- pastors with or without undergraduate or graduate degrees in ministry, pastoral or other ministries.
- pastors who find themselves working bivocationally.
- yearly meetings and other denominational groups who wish to give bi-vocational ministers access to practical theological education specifically related to bivocationality.
- someone who is specifically choosing to be bivocational, including those for who the word “entrepreneur” might fit.
ABOUT THE BIVOCATIONAL MINISTRY CERTIFICATE
This certificate program begins in the fall semester.
Required sequence of courses:
- Bivocational Ministry (2-week August Intensive)
- Pastoral Spirituality (online or Zoom in Fall)
- Bivocational Mentoring (weekend intensive [Zoom] in spring)
- Models of Entrepreneurial Ministry (online or Zoom in spring) OR other elective course dedicated to students’ ministry formation (Bible, Theology, Spirituality, other)
- Work of the Pastor (2-week intensive in May)
- Ministry Practicum (8 weeks supervised ministry experience culminating in presentations at the ESR Pastors’ Conference)
The Bivocational Ministry program is led by Phil Baisley, professor of pastoral studies.
Ministry isn’t just a vocation or a calling—it’s a way of being in this world, seeking to make it whole. ESR is ready to support you in answering your own call to ministry, whatever shape it takes.